Tuesday, March 29, 2011

knitting vs crocheting

Good evening,

Everytime I am crocheting out and about someone will come up to me and say "Oh, so you knit?"  I just look up with a smile and say "no, I am crocheting."  So, I figured that my post tonight would explain the difference between knitting and crocheting. 

Crocheting involves one hook and yarn.  It is started out with a foundation row consisting of chains and increasing in stitches and builds upon that.  Crochet uses a wide variety of stitches and the final appearance of crochet garments are wider and looser than knit garments.  Crochet is used to make lacier items and open-work items.  One of the most popular items seen in crochet is the granny square.                                                                 

Knitiing involves two kneedles and yarn.  The two main stitches seen in knitting are the knit stitch and the purl stitch.  Knitting produces stretchy fabrics that are used to make sweaters and  socks for example.  Most sweaters that you buy are knit, so the next time you put on a sweater, look at the tag and see how it was made.

I have not learned to knit so I can not say which one is easier, knit or crochet.  I do not shun anyone for their craft and would love to learn to knit someday.  Everyone has their own opinion on which one is easier.  I have heard whichever one you learn how to do first is easier.

I hope this clears up any questions you all have about knitting vs. crocheting.  Remember, knitting has 2 T's in it, so you use 2 needles and crochet has 1 T so you just use one hook. 

I hope this has been an informative post!!!!

Stay creative,

Charmel



knitting needles and yarn


crochet hook and yarn


2 comments:

  1. Yeah, i wouldn't know the difference between the two. LOL never realy tried either one before. You learn something everyday!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this. I too am a crocheter. Although I would LOVE to learn to knit ... I can't seem to master 2 as opposed to one.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete