Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Safiya Mitchell


Know Thyself

Greetings,


I have found another crocheter!!!! Wooo hooo!!!!  I was browsing etsy and ran across some great pieces from Safiya Mitchell.  I will share her bio with you and also check out her etsy page: www.etsy.com/shop/fiyamitch.


Here is some info that she shared with me.


    
Safiya was born and raised in NYC and currently resides in Brooklyn!!!!  My peeps in NYC, show Safiya some love!!

Here is her bio written in her own words:

     My interest in crochet is rooted in my appreciation for all things afro-centric, particularly, Rastafarian culture and natural locks.  I was very fascinated with how beautiful a woman could be with her hair wrapped in a turban or covered in a tam.  I thought, wow… how innovative, how liberating…  It was a movement/lifestyle that I had to be a part of.  

            I began crocheting almost two and half years ago, while on maternity leave with my son.  I came across some wonderful tutorials by tjw on youtube.com and some great starter patterns by Double Stitch Twins.  To my surprise, I picked up fairly quickly and took a genuine liking to the craft.  Fortunately, as time progressed, so did my skill.

            What keeps me motivated to create is being able to express my inner happenings outwardly through my hands.  It’s therapeutic, spiritual, and a reward from GOD!  Every color reflects my mood at the time of creation, and every finished product represents that which has been influential throughout my journey thus far.  What I love the most is being able to connect with others through art.  A sold item to me speaks volumes, stating that I have created something special for someone that I don’t even know.  Such a connection preserves my inspiration to offer to you the “Fruits” of my labor…

Peace…

Safiya

Fruits Boutique



Stay creative and enjoy!!!

Charmel


Safiya has so many wonderful pieces, that I am going to have to do another blog on her and post some of her pics!!! Stay tuned for more of her work.
Now take a look at some of her pieces:



flower earrings



Iylah

tropical pearls

No comments:

Post a Comment